Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Herb ice cubes!

Good morning!  Today's post is about freezing your herbs.  It comes a time when you just don't know what to do with all that sweet basil and parsley in your garden.  I hate letting it go to waste.  So what do I do?  I wash it, let it dry and then put it in ice cube trays and fill with water or olive oil.  That is of course after I have dried it all summer and have jars stored in the basement.

I bought these nice ice cube trays from Tupperware.  I love that they have a lid on them.  This year I froze one tray with a mixture of parsley and sweet basil and another with just sweet basil.  Today I have to go out and pick more so the parsley I will put it in the fridge and use in smoothies and cooking.  It lasts a long time in the fridge if you don't wash it.  I think I will make some sweet basil in oil with the basil.



 I chop the herbs up good so all you have to do is throw the cube in the pot and it is just like fresh.

I hope you enjoyed todays post.  Come back a check out another in a few days.  I will be posting the cards for my Beary Christmas workshop.

And as always, for your paper crafting needs.  Check out my website at paperdivas.ctmh.com.  You can also email me at rondaladuke@outlook.com.

Have a great day!  Hugs!!!

Ronda

3 comments:





  1. So you dry it and then rehydrate in either olive oil or water? Never tried that although I've dried basil, crushed it, and stored in a baggie. One year I make fresh basil into pesto and then froze it. Didn't have your fancy ice cube trays so after the cubes were solid, I removed them and stored in a baggie. Both ways, the basil tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wash it and let it dry on paper towel so it cuts without bruising. So it is still fresh not dried. Basically it is like having fresh instead of dried. I do that too. Take them out of the tray and store them in a baggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I thought you were drying it all summer BEFORE you put it in the oil or water.

    ReplyDelete