Monday, October 7, 2019

Butter pie crust!

When I first retired, one of the things I wanted to do was to learn how to make pies!  My husband loves pie, especially Cherry!

So I searched through recipes and found one for butter pie crust.  Butter has to make it better, right?  The first one I made, My husband told me it was the best pie he had ever eaten.  So naturally I made a few more using these pie crust recipe.  I really hated doing it, it is sticky and the bottom crust seemed to be gooey!  It sticks to the counter and it never looks very pretty in the pie plate because it is so hard to work with.   Messy but it really did taste so good.

I always make my own filling too.  No high fructose syrup in this house.

So finally if you have to make pie, because your husband loves it you take your brothers advise and just buy the ones rolled up in the dairy isle.  So that is what I have been doing for the last few years.

I always get the response, thanks for the pie honey but it's not like your butter crust.  Ugggg!

So he has been working hard remodeling our office so I decided to make him a cherry pie with real butter crust.  The recipe only makes one crust so I had to double the recipe.

Not being a crust expert and not having done it in quite a few years I just doubled it.  Well I think I put in to much apple cider vinegar or ice water because it was so sticky.  I divided the crust in two and put it in the fridge for an hour like the instructions said. I knew I needed more flour so I put a lot on the counter, more on top of the crust and on my roller.

Oh wow this is pretty nice! I wanted to make the bottom crust thin so it would crisp up more NOT!  It completely stuck to the counter but I finally got the first one done and put it in the fridge in the pie pan.  Then the same thing happened to the second crust but I managed to get it in another pie pan and it was a mess.

Oh well, lets get this pie finished.  So I put the filling in the first crust and then tried to flip the other one upside down onto the top and of Corse you know it was just awful.  Ugliest looking pie but I trimmed it up and decide to just use a fork to try and get the two to stick together.  I dipped the fork in sugar and went around the crust adding sugar each time.

Well so the story ends that this is an ugly pie but Oh my gosh, the crust taste so good.  LOL!!!

There is enough crust left over so I prepped that into a disc and put it in the freezer.  The next pie will have one store bought and one butter crust.

I may try this again just to see if I can perfect it.  Here is the result.

I hope you all have a great week and happy pie making!

Hugs, Ronda

2 comments: